When the left sleeps the right wins
The Tea Party protested in support of cuts. There was no answer from the left in America. The largest protest group in the US, with the exception of Wisconsin is the Tea Party, campaigning for their own redundancy notices.
When the Tories attacked social security in the UK there was no protest, sure the middle class and rich protested against student fees (which actually benefit the poorest) but welfare, nowhere.
Austerity budgets lead to more austerity. The great plan for Europe was to ride the wave of a resurgent US and a growing China. Say goodbye to the idea of a resurgent US.
The only budget that would have actually started to cut into the US National Debt would have been that proposed by the Progressive Caucus. It still makes that passed by the right wing UK look “far left” (UK top rate taxes of 50% and a partial removal of the National Insurance (Social Security cap). It was however completely ignored in media debates. The left was represented by the “middle”, that of President Obama. The right was the Tea Party and the middle was somewhere in between the two. A position far more right wing than anything Bush could have proposed.
We can not and should not blame the President for this. The message from November was clear from those selling that message. Cuts are wanted. That is the message that was sent to the President. That is the message Washington heard. That is the message the IMF and the Credit Agencies are forcing down the throat of European Nations.
We scream only at our own side. There has been no effective answer to the right.
There are real alternatives to austerity. Germany reduced their working week. Everyone took a hit but few became unemployed. They are now booming. They have no need to cut their social programmes and they have absolutely no desire to cut their social programmes to bail out Nations who did not do what they did.
In our great Anglo-American Economy, the richest 1% have had their incomes grow massively while those at the bottom are being forced to pay. The top end market for house prices in London has never been higher. The bottom end has collapsed because ordinary people can not get mortgages. Who paid to bail out the banks to save the wealth of the top? Ordinary every day workers.
An Empire died 20 years ago because they gave a higher priority to military spending than spending on their own people. Another Empire is now coming to an end.
- In reply to Dan Riehl: The Liars World View
- This beats her record. Palin quit the race before she even got in it.
- Sorry, I was wrong about #OccupyWallStreet
- For Jamey
- “New York’s finest”. This policeman needs to be prosecuted.
- Republicans boo soldier serving in Iraq and Frothy Mix calls for reinstatement of DADT
- We are Troy Davis
- Hey Megan Fox – take your “slave” article and shove it.
|Anonymous on Big in Japan? Not likely…|
|Joe Fleming on Sarah Palin’s Second Ame…|
|fred smith on In reply to Dan Riehl: The Lia…|
|In reply to Dan Rieh… on Hey Megan Fox – take you…|
|alhaji ibrahim yeldu on What have the Muslims ever don…|
- What have the Muslims ever done for America?
- Just what has President Obama done for America?
- Big in Japan? Not likely - it is illegal.
- Truly sickening, young transgender woman beaten at McDonald’s while staff laugh and film it
- God of War III. Here comes the poutrage to generate the sales.
- Bronze age Mutant Ninja Turtle now wants to abolish US elections.
- Air Algerie flight that disppeared from radar crashed in Mali, French official says - Fox News
- Israel Says That Hamas Uses Civilian Shields, Reviving Debate - New York Times
- Arizona Gov. Orders Full Review of Execution Procedures - NBCNews.com
- Obama sends assessment team to border - USA TODAY
- Democrats stand by Sen. John Walsh after plagiarism accusations - CBS News
- Weekly unemployment claims plunge to post-recession low of 284000 - Los Angeles Times
- Tragedy Fails to Quiet Ukraine - Wall Street Journal
- Gunmen kill two Finnish women in western Afghanistan - The News International
- UPDATE 3-Taiwan launches inquiry into plane crash that killed 48 - Reuters
- Iraq MPs elect Fouad Massoum as president - BBC News
- #MarriageEquality is coming and the GOP will cry dailykos.com/story/2013/03/… #tcot #p2 #equality #gay 1 year ago
- RT @SluttySlutSlut1: “Only in America can u be Pro-Death Penalty, Pro-War, Pro-Unmanned Drone, Pro-Nucs, Pro-Guns, Pro-Torture, AND stil ... 1 year ago
- RT @tiffany_willis: So Rand Paul, tell us again how Benghazi was the greatest tragedy since 9/11. Idiot. fb.me/1tVAevu8I 1 year ago
- RT @adbridgeforth: This was the #GOP before the America hating greedy extremists took over. An Actual Poster from 1956! #p2 #tcot #union ... 1 year ago
- The harsh tale of #MittRomney's unemployment, dailykos.com/story/2012/12/… #p2 #my2k #Obama #election2012 1 year ago
- July 2012
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009