John Mccain led the filibuster and as a result the Republicans used their minority status to block the repeal of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell. His filibuster means that the Senate will not even debate the repeal of DADT.
So why does John McCain hate American troops and why did other Republicans go along with the hate spree?
Well it all fits in with the Summer of Hate. This is a continuance of the bashing of minorities that we saw whipped up by Republicans during the Summer when they decided to bash Muslim Americans for “the crime” of being Muslim.
Sadly, Senator Blanche Lincoln gave Republicans cover and voted with Republicans, as did her Arkansas partner in hate Mark Pryor. Who does she think will vote for her? Dancing with bigots will not save her seat. She has just thrown away any chance of any of the Democratic base voting for her. I will eat a big dish of crow pie of she manages to hold on.
The final vote was 56-43. Harry Reid voted no at last minute, which allows him as Senate Leader to bring the bill back.
Lisa Murkowski, the Senator successfully primaried by loony Christine O’Donnell did not vote.
So on first glance it appears that the lobbying of Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins by Lady Gaga failed. I doubt it and I also doubt that the “Maine sisters” have heard the last of Lady Gaga. She has moved them away from outright Republican hatred of gays for a start.
They now claim that they are committed to ending Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, but that the big bad Democratic Party would not let Republicans have an open amendment process, and so they just couldn’t vote to allow for debate. This is nothing but a ridiculously obvious stupid lie. An excuse for inaction because they know that the GOP will if elected never vote to repeal DADT.
Here is Senator Levin pointing out the idiocy of Collins argument about why her vote to refuse any debate is because she is concerned about a lack of debate. Collins is first.
The simple fact is they joined with their fellow Republicans to not even allow debate on the repeal of DADT. By their vote they decided to continue the Summer of Hate.
One thing for sure is that it is an absolutely stupid idea that a 56-43 vote to debate means the vote fails. The filibuster must go or be reformed. It is not good for democracy.
Most Western military forces have now removed policies excluding sexual minority members; of the 26 countries that participate militarily in NATO, 22 permit open lesbians, gays, or bisexuals to serve; of the permanent members of the United Nations Security Council, three (United Kingdom, France, and Russia) do so. The United States stands alone with their discrimination.
America thanks to Republicans continues to have a smiliar policy to these great Nations
- North Korea
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
Yay for Republicans. What a great bunch of freedom loving Nations to stand with.
According to Republicans at the “Value Voters Conference“, military forces which allow gay and lesbian soldiers to serve openly no longer participate in wars, only parades.
Of course, you would expect Republicans not to denigrate the United Kingdom, a Country that stood by the US for two wars of questionable legality. One of them caused because a Republican President, that the likes of the Value Voters Conference continually applauded, failed in his duty to keep his own Country safe in September 2001.
Of course not.
Maginnis: That’s why countries like the ten largest militaries in the world, that have the ten largest militaries in the world say ‘no, this isn’t the thing to do.’ They spin this as if Great Britain and we ought to copy them and the Dutch. Well the fact is that 80 percent of the militaries in the world don’t embrace this particular view.
Perkins: Well, those that do, they’re the ones that participate in parades, they don’t fight wars to keep the nation and the world free. So there’s a big difference.
There are few words for this. What a way to thank these men.
Yes he can politick well.
President Barack Obama got back in the campaign stump and out came the campaigner so many were happy to vote for in 2008.
He promised to fight for a $50 billion infrastructure programme to rebuild roads, railways and runways as a way to secure long term jobs growth and boost the still weak US economy.
He accused Republicans of driving the US economy in to a ditch and said that now that the car has been pulled out of the ditch Republicans are complaining about the scratches.
He directly blamed Republicans for causing Americans’ hard economic times.
The $50 billion would if passed be the beginning of a six-year program of infrastructure improvements.
Republicans said NO.
Katrina happened 5 years ago this weekend. America should never forget that this
was part of a bigger picture of downright incompetence. Incompetence driven by a culture of greed and base politics. Fear and hate.
They talk of “Constitutional Conservatives” yet spit on that very document.
How many Soldiers and Civilians dies for their needless war in the Middle East?
They talk oftalk of the deficit but will not say what they want cut just “government” and their solution for everything is tax cuts for for the same people who delivered this.
and would be happy to see more people living like this
Are Americans that easily duped by Fox News that they will forget and forgive the crimes of the Republican Party who offer unreformed versions of the same thing that went before?
A new term in office? How about a term in prison for the damage that they did to the World?
People should REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER.
(1) Target big Democrat donors, and horrify them at the thought they will be identified as supporters of this Ground Zero Victory Mosque because their funds are enabling the mosque-supporters like Pelosi and Obama to remain in office. These big donors do not want their names or businesses hurt by association with this project. So, get them, as private citizens and Democrat financiers, on record against this…then pressure them for an answer on the question of why they are giving so much damn money to people like Pelosi and Obama (and Senators Gillibrand and Schumer), who want to see a monument to Islamic Conquest rise above Ground Zero. Democrats ignore the people, but they bow to donors.
(2) Target all construction companies licensed to operate in New York and make it known to their C-Suite executives that if they agree to build this Ground Zero Victory Mosque that for the rest of your life you will make it a hobby of yours to convice future clients from hiring this firm. Make it known in the construction industry that any company that accepts this project will have the perpetual scorn of the public brought down on it. Think about what Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Henry Gates, and the rest of the Race Industry does to corporations to scare them away from doing things the Race Industry does not want them to do. Those tactics are very effective, and as disgusting as these race hucksters are, you cannot argue with their results.
(3) Pre-emptively start a rebellion with the trade unions and other entities that must be present on a construction site for a building project of this nature to proceed. In Chicago, buildings cannot be built without certain guilds and craftsman reps present on the job. It’s largely a corruption and graft requirement, and we can’t imagine New York not having something like this too, forcing a project to employ all sorts of experts to do certain things that are written into city building codes. Ie, pipefitters from the proper pipefitting union must fit the pipes for the sprinklers. If that does not happen, the Fire Marshal will not allow the building to rise, because it is unsafe. Well, what if the pipefitters in New York who are authorized by the state to work on building projects all refuse to work on this job? What if the Fire Marshal refuses to sign off on the building? There can be no Victory Mosque unless all the various trade unions and guilds allow this building to be constructed.
(4) Send an SOS to organized crime in the New York/New Jersey area. This might sound absurd to you at first, but the crime families in major cities are actually very patriotic people. They are almost always in it for themselves, of course, but they are no fans of Islam. How can the Victory Mosque be built if all the supplies that are needed for the building site mysteriously fall off ships at the docks or are lost on the highway somewhere coming into the city? What about late at night when all of the bulldozers, cranes, and other machines needed suffer all sorts of bizarre mechanical problems. We hear there are a lot of raccoons and squirrels living in lower Manhattan that love messing around with machinery at night. And those machines all need to be certified as safe, for the crews to work, and having machines that constantly break down sure would seem to risk any safety certifications the project would have. The mob in this country might generally do a lot of bad things, but we have a sincere and honest hope the crime families of the tri-state area come together to do whatever they can behind the scenes to stop construction of this Victory Mosque if it would ever get that far.
(5) The gay bar idea adjacent to the mosque is just one concept for making the neighborhood wholly unappealling to the Islamists who want to built this Tower of Triumph over Ground Zero. Pork processing facilities, museusms of pork products through the years, and anything else pig related needs to go in the three block radius circling this Victory Mosque. We’ve suggested commissioning public art, like the fiberglass cows that are dotted around Chicago, but in pig form, to decorate the streets surrounding the Victory Mosque. If the city won’t approve that, then local graffiti artists should be employed by the mob to absolutely cover every available surface in the area with depictions of pigs…and portraits of Muhammad as portrayed by the character Sloth from The Goonies. Every artistic endeavor imaginable should be used to make this would-be triumphant Victory Mosque into an laughstock. Do not allow these Muslims to use this Victory Mosque as a propaganda and recruiting tool overseas. Let there be no angle in which it can be photographed without there being a giant pig sculpture or deformed depiction of Muhammad spoiling that shot.
It is now come to this. The wiser heads inside of the Republican Party need to reclaim their Party from the tea party types and the desperate wannabe media whores, using hate as a vehicle for self promotion.
For this, only the former President, George W Bush can lead on this.
I will always believe that that man caused great, untold levels of damage not just to America but the World. It therefore has come to something when I am hoping that he will do one decent thing on behalf of America and indeed, his Party.
President Obama has already spoken up on behalf of American Muslims who simply want to exercise their Constitutional right to worship. It is now time for the former President to do the same. His Party is on the brink of sending an awful message to all Muslims that America does not want them. This is on the back of a message to legal Latinos that America has no place for them either.
With talk of abolishing the right of citizenship for some, the Republican Party is not far away for expressing its desire for a WASP ONLY America. Republican Leaders are after all going to be sharing a platform with a Dutch politician who wants the Constitution of the Netherlands changed to reflect just that.
As President, Bush repeatedly made clear that the US was not at war with Islam. He repeatedly pointed out the contributions made by Muslims to the World and pointed out that radical terrorists had nothing to do with the three Abrahamic Religions, of which Islam is one.
The current crop of Republicans will never respect President Obama when he repeats those very same points. After all, with the insanity turned up to 11, Republican Leaders have been all too happy to push the meme that President Obama is a “Muslim sympathiser”; so to the crazies he would say that anyway.
Former President Bush need only to restate what he said as President on many many occasions. Such a statement may wake some of the few remaining wise heads in the Republican Leadership up. It may give them the early morning call they need before they are far too far down a road no decent politician should ever have ventured on.
A little over a year ago I contacted PUMA blogger Larry Johnson about some of his contributors getting a bit too excitable. They were making clear and obvious death threats against the President of the United States. Larry Johnson promised to report the idiots. To be honest I did not believe him.
Credit where credit is due. He did. So I get to eat some small amount of crow.
Here, almost one year later is that idiot bigot on another right wing hate site (you can guess the one without clicking and it will probably be deleted soon anyway) complaining about being treated like the criminal it is.
July 31, 2010 at 12:16 pm
It is not paranoia. You may be watched if you are anti-Obama. This is the MOST thin skinned, paranoid administration EVER. a blog owner turned me, as well as a few other people into the secret service for using the bad A word that you should not associate in the same sentence as POTUS. There were no direct threats, but the blog owner feared being responsible. Anyway, it took the secret service one year to come interview me and they had missed me at home by 15 minutes so they came to my work! my boss freaked out! I was interviewed by the secret service and my employer’s security for about 45 minutes. I survived the experience and now can laugh about it, but beware. ANYONE can turn you in and say you may be a threat and the SS will come. They told me that they eventually visit everyone who is on the list. It sounded to me like they have not done that before, but they are so paranoid about the one that they look at everyone that gets on their list no matter how. So, please do be careful with your words.
The other thing I want to mention is that just shortly after I was turned in to the SS, I was watching an hour long documentary that had obama in his own words in it. I cannot remember what it was, but all of a sudden, right as Obama was talking about redistributing the wealth, my computer shut down. It was not out of battery and it started up right away again and was fine, but I could no longer access the website with the video. It was weird and it freaked me out! There is no explanation for it to this day.
As far as the SS coming to my work, I was lucky. I did not get fired because the blogging was not on work time, but I do have a written warning in my file that I violated the code of conduct for the company and how an employee is supposed to behave. They don’t even know what I was blogging or wrote or anything, but it was enough that the SS came to talk with me.
I guess the bigot wasn’t quite so proud about telling her bosses that she was online making death threats against the President of the United States of America.
To the men in dark suits – good work. And something I probably will not write so often, Larry Johnson for this I salute you.
Half a million dollars or £300 thousand pounds could have stopped this. A few
dayshours of the profits made by BP.
Almost every single Nation in the World requires by law a remote shut off facility to ensure that oil rig accidents like this do not cause the level of damage that this is causing and will cause.
$500,000. That is all it would have cost.
The US however does not require that unnecessary burden on business.
Republicans just want more and more oil. They even attacked the President for not opening even more oil fields.
At the same time, conservatives — who were chanting “Drill, baby, drill” two years ago — reacted cautiously, displeased with Obama’s declaration that some coastal territory would remain untouched. In addition to Bristol Bay, the Atlantic coast from New Jersey northward would be closed to exploration, as would the entire Pacific coastline. The proposal is a “step in the right direction,” said Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell in a statement, “but a small one that leaves enormous amounts of American energy off-limits.”
“Drill Baby Drill”. Everyone who chanted that rant in 2008 as if it was some biblical truth should be required to help clean up the mess.
John Prescott is almost as demented as his colleague Gordon Brown. He writes on his blog, ironically called Go Fourth (which is where Labour could end up finishing)
…. today the Murdoch family reached a new low in their desperate attempt to turn the election for the Tories.
News International’s Sky News broadcast a PRIVATE conversation between Gordon and his staff.
The very same News International that tapped hundreds of phones and saw one of their reporter’s jailed after listening and publishing conversations involving the Royal Family.
The News of the World and its then editor Andy Coulson claimed it was a ‘rogue reporter’ and that Cameron’s spin doctor knew nothing about it.
So why did they pay off over a million to Gordon Taylor and Max Clifford to buy their silence?
What Murdoch’s Sky News did today was just as bad as his paper’s phone tapping.
It was a breach of privacy, it was underhand and it was done in the pursuit of ratings and political influence.
So let’s show them that Britain is not for sale.
That an Australian with an American passport cannot buy our General Election.
And I’ll be the first to proudly proclaim on May 7 – “It’s the Sun Wot Lost It”
Balls to Prescott.
So what was wrong about Gordon Brown calling a Labour voter a bigot wasn’t Brown saying what he said it was Brown getting caught for saying what he said? Prescott sounds like one of the villains at the end of a Scooby Doo episode.
To Neo Con Labour the Murdoch press was great while they were promoting Blair, especially when they ran all the terrorism stories, which helped Blair and Prescott with their blood lust in Iraq.
The Murdoch empire was great for Neo Con Labour when The Sun printed the faces of the Members of Parliament voting against 90 days internment without trial – calling them traitors (and worse).
Murdoch was great when he was selling Neo Con Labour’s ID cards.
Murdoch was great when he was selling stupid anti terror laws that turned the right to protest in to a right to “request” a protest, that stopped people being able to photograph the police or even buildings.
Prescott was very happy for Murdoch to sell the Neo Con Labour dream.
A dream that smashed opportunity for the poorest in the Country. Neo Con Labour were happy that the Murdoch press helped fuel the property market and they were happy that the real story of the rising debt criss did not get covered.
They were happy that they let Gordon Brown get away with claiming he had “abolished boom and bust”.
Prescott was happy that the press did not pick up on the doubling of tax for the lower paid. Something that was supposed to be implemented the other side of a General Election. If Gordon had of called that election when he was going to there would have been nothing done to reduce that burden.
People on benefits are worse off than they were under the the Tories in 1997, very good news for the millions now unemployed as a result of Neo Con Labour.
The poorest five % are much worse off than 1997. Their incomes have actually dropped.
Fewer Council houses were built under Neo Con Labour than under Thatcher.
Prescott was happy when this was not being reported by his then Murdoch chums.
Labour effectively abolished right to buy, which allowed people a way up and out of poverty. They gave that right to buy to “Housing Action trusts” and all the various other names they have called those schemes since then. Residents could not buy their own home, but some giant Housing Association could privatise their estate. They even got to vote on it. If residents voted no, therefore refusing to transfer their estate from the council to the new private company their estate would be starved of capital, starved of repairs money and denied regeneration funds. All this done by a Labour government, enjoying the active support of the Murdoch press.
Expanded NHS and schools budgets have had all that extra money swallowed up, not by more teachers but by Labour cronies sucking the budget dry with credit card rates of interest for new buildings. PFI deal with Labour donors, after PFI deal means that we do not know how much debt this Country is actually in and will maybe never know.
So yeah, I would just love to see Labour go fourth. Fourth place after the Monster Raving Loony Party.
Prescott – screw you and your war crimes, screw you and your cronies, screw you and your attacks on students and the poor. Go rot in hell with Donald Rumsfield, Dick Cheney and George Bush.
I can not wait until May 7th, waking up to see that the Neo Con wing of the Labour Party gave Labour their worst defeat since 1918. I will then be happy to say “It’s Gordon wot lost it”.